The parent company of Ann Taylor, LOFT, Justice and Lane Bryant has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Twenty-three stores in 13 states are on the new closings list released Thursday with Florida losing the most locations with four. New Jersey, New York and Ohio have three closures apiece.
New Jersey-based Ascena, which also operates Lane Bryant, Catherines, Ann Taylor, Loft, Lou & Grey and Cacique, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection July 23 and announced plans to shutter around 1,600 of the company’s 2,800 stores.
The company said in the bankruptcy filing that it planned to shutter all of its Catherines plus-size stores and “intends to transition Justice to a primarily online platform and continue Lou & Grey within go-forward LOFT stores.”
Save better, spend better: Money tips and advice delivered right to your inbox. Sign up here
The Justice brand, formerly Limited Too, is geared toward girls ages 6 to 12. It joined Ascena in 2009 and, before the store closures, had 826 specialty retail and outlet stores.
SB360 Capital Partners will manage the going-out-of-business liquidation sales and handled Ascena’s recent liquidation sales. The firm has managed liquidation sales for more than 50 years.
Bed Bath & Beyond closings and coupons: What shoppers need to know about the 20% discount amid a new round of store closings
Initial discounts will be up to 50% off the original price on clothing, shoes, accessories, and toys.
Aaron Miller, executive vice president of SB360, said in a statement that the closing stores have new arrivals of “seasonal classics and new trends” and encouraged shoppers “to shop early for the very best selection.”
The recent round of Justice liquidation sales moved fast, added Ziggy Schaffer, also an executive vice president at SB360.
“Demand was unbelievably strong, and the Justice customer clearly understands value,” Schaffer said. “With the store closing discounts of up to 50% off, this will be another very quick sale.”
Like other apparel retailers with a heavy commitment to shopping malls, Ascena was grappling with declining foot traffic long before the coronavirus pandemic, which has led to an increase of retailers filing for bankruptcy.
As many as 25,000 stores could shutter this year as retailers continue to feel the impacts of the pandemic, according to a report from Coresight Research.
Last week, Bed Bath & Beyond announced 63 more stores will close by the end of 2020 with 200 of its namesake stores expected to close over the next two years.
Justice store closings 2020
Going-out-of-business sales are expected to move quickly. (See the list of more than 600 Justice stores that have already closed here.)
California Justice store closing
- Riverside: Galleria at Tyler, 1299 Galleria at Tyler
Colorado Justice closing store
- Lone Tree: Park Meadows, 8401 Park Meadows Center Drive
Delaware Justice store closure
- Newark: Christiana Mall, 715 Christiana Mall Road
Florida Justice store closings
- Miami: Miami International Mall, 1455 NW 107th Ave.
- Orlando: Florida Mall, 8001 S Orange Blossom Trail
- St. Augustine: St. Augustine Premium Outlets, 2700 State Road 16
- Sunrise: Sawgrass Mills Mall, 12801 West Sunrise Blvd.
Illinois closing Justice store
- Schaumburg: Woodfield Mall, 5 Woodfield Shopping Center
Maryland Justice closing store
- Hanover: Arundel Mills, 7600 Arundel Mills Blvd.
Minnesota Justice store closure
- Bloomington: Mall of America, 255 South Ave.
Missouri Justice store closing
- Des Peres: West County Center, 63 West County Center
New Jersey Justice store closings
- Bridgewater: Bridgewater Commons, 400 Commons Way
- Deptford: Deptford Mall, 1750 Deptford Center Road
- Elizabeth: The Mills at Jersey Gardens, 651 Kapkowski Road
New York closing Justice stores
- Deer Park: Tanger Outlet Center at the Arches, 455 Commack Road
- New Hyde Park: Lake Success, 1480 Union Turnpike
- Riverhead: Tanger Outlet Riverhead, 604 Tanger Mall Drive
Ohio Justice store closures
- Cincinnati: Kenwood Towne Centre, 7875 Montgomery Road
- Columbus, Easton Town Center, 4025 The Strand West
- Monroe: Cincinnati Premium Outlets, 406 Premium Outlet Drive
Texas Justice closing stores
- Friendswood: Baybrook Mall, 1314 Baybrook Mall
- Mesquite: Town East Mall, 2063 Town East Mall
Virginia Justice store closing
- McLean: Tysons Corner Center, 1961 Chain Bridge Road
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/09/24/justice-closings-list-tween-stores-liquidating-ascena-coronavirus/3509815001/