Board games, puzzles, video games and screen-free learning toys are all believed will be coveted this holiday season. Marissa DiBartolo of The Toy Insider predicts Baby Yoda will be the No. 1 toy on wish lists this year. (Aug. 4)
Walmart’s annual list of the toys kids say they want the most is out.
The retail giant released the “Top Rated by Kids Toy List” early Thursday with “36 of the hottest toys for the 2020 holiday season” that were tested and selected by kids.
While some of the toy brands and popular characters are returning – think Paw Patrol, Barbie and L.O.L. Surprise – this year’s list reflects shifts in toy trends amid the coronavirus pandemic, said Erin Fish, Walmart merchandising director for girls fashion dolls, in an interview with USA TODAY.
“Toys have really played a critical role in families over the last few months especially with everyone being at home a lot more,” Fish said.
Amazon Prime, Walmart+ and more: The perks, costs and how membership programs compare
The trends include interactive play, educational toys, screen-free indoor entertainment and energy-burning outdoor activities.
Kids can play and test out the toys virtually with the Walmart Wonder Lab, a new site created in partnership with Eko, a developer of interactive video technology.
Several of the toys on the list are exclusives that will only be sold at Walmart stores and website. Some toys are available for pre-order now.
In past year, many hot toy lists have been accurate in predicting what toys will sell out. Retailers including Walmart, Target and Best Buy say they will start offering deals this holiday shopping season earlier because of the pandemic.
Top toys 2020
Walmart’s list is broken down into six categories: popular character toys, high-tech gadgets, interactive play, surprise toys, outdoor toys and indoor entertainment.
Popular character toys
- Frozen 2 – Magic in Motion Elsa Doll ($59.00)
- Blue’s Clues & You Peek-A-Boo ($24.84)
- Paw Patrol Dino Patroller ($59.00)
- The Child Bop It ($14.88)
- LEGO Death Star Final Duel ($89.00)
- Star Wars Dark Saber ($29.84)
- Sensory FX ASMR Mega Bar ($19.88)
- VTech KidiZoom Creator Cam ($59.00)
- Instax Mini 7S Seafoam Green ($59.00)
- onn. 8-inch Tablet Pro ($99.00)
- Disney Princess Vanity ($49.88)
- Gotta Go Flamingo ($28.82)
- FurReal Mama Josie Kangaroo Pet ($67.00)
- Squeakee ($58.00)
- My Life As Hello Kitty Dolls ($35.00)
- Barbie Farm Barn Playset ($74.00)
- L.O.L. Surprise OMG REMIX Dolls ($34.88, available mid-September)
- The Animal ($34.88, available October 1)
- Treasure X – Sharks Treasure ($19.87)
- Hatchimals Crystal Flyers ($29.77)
- Na! Na! Na! Ultimate Surprise ($69.00)
- L.O.L. Surprise Clubhouse Playset ($49.88)
- Ryan’s World Vending Machine ($39.82)
- Jetson Mars Light Up Kick Scooter ($34.94)
- Semi-Truck and Trailer Ride On ($249.00)
- Jetson Plasma Light Up Hoverboard ($148.00)
- Razor Black Label E100 Electric Scooter ($128.00)
- Nerf Fortnite DG ($29.97)
- Tic Tac Tony ($9.97)
- Kinetic Sand Sandwhirlz ($19.82)
- Spark Puppy Piano ($19.82)
- Little People Launch & Loop Raceway ($49.44)
- VTech Helping Heroes Fire Station ($39.82)
- Hot Wheels Sky Crash Tower ($44.68)
- Beyblade Burst Rise Hypersphere Set ($49.67)
- Megalodon Storm RC ($43.88)
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/09/03/walmart-toy-list-2020-kids-interactive-play-christmas-holiday-gifts/5694280002/