When you want a truck that can rocket over sand dunes, you might want it to be desert-rated.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has touted the extreme capabilities of its Trail Rated Jeeps for years. Now, the automaker is adding orange-accented desert-rated badging to the 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, with abilities to match.
FCA plans to show Gladiator Mojave at the Chicago Auto Show opening to the public Saturday.
Jim Morrison, head of the Jeep brand in North America, called it a natural evolution from trail-rated vehicles.
“4×4 capability has always been the foremost pillar of the Jeep brand, and the new Gladiator Mojave is a natural extension of our legendary Trail Rated 4×4 capability leadership,” Morrison said in a news release, noting that “we are delivering our most passionate customers a new level of capability with the ability to master high-speed desert and sand terrains.”
As trail-rated vehicles must meet certain criteria, desert-rated vehicles are also tested against five criteria – ride control and stability, traction, ground clearance, maneuverability and desert prowess.
Tesla stock soars:Elon Musk hints at another big move for the EV maker
“It’s got all the protections you need to go desert racing at high speeds with the Mojave,” Morrison said.
Here are some of the special Gladiator Mojave features, according to FCA:
- A Jeep Command-Trac 4×4 system that can provide up to 50 mph low-range “operating speeds for climbing sand dunes and other challenging desert events.”
- “A best-in-class approach angle of 44.7 degrees, breakover angle of 20.9 degrees, departure angle of 25.5 degrees and a best-in-class ground clearance of 11.6 inches.”
- Jeep Performance Parts step sand slider side rails and silver front skid plate.
- “Specially-tuned Fox 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks with external reservoirs and industry-exclusive Fox front hydraulic jounce bumpers.”
- The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine provides 285 horsepower and 260 pound feet of torque. A six-speed manual transmission is standard (an eight speed automatic is optional).
The Gladiator Mojave should be in showrooms in the second quarter of the year. Pricing has not been released.
Contact Eric D. Lawrence: [email protected] or (313) 223-4272. Follow him on Twitter: @_ericdlawrence.