Consumers are scared to go out and retailers are floundering. Is there a future for the traditional indoor shopping mall?
More than two months after Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. announced plans to close 200 of its namesake stores over the next two years, the company has revealed the locations of the first 63 stores that will shutter.
The New Jersey-based home goods retailer – which also operates buybuy Baby, Harmon Face Values and World Market – shared the list of the Bed Bath & Beyond locations closing by the end of 2020 exclusively with USA TODAY Friday.
“As we rebuild our authority and establish a truly omni-always shopping experience for our customers, we recently announced a store optimization plan that will see us establish the right network of stores to serve our customers,” company spokeswoman Jessica Joyce said in a statement to USA TODAY.
No stimulus check, no recovery: US could slip into double-dip recession if Congress doesn’t pass new stimulus
Stores in 29 states are slated to close with California and New York losing the most stores at six locations each.
“This is an important step in our multi-year program to create a sustainable, durable business and invest where it matters most to our digital-first customers and our people,” Joyce said Friday, adding “an exciting array of customer-inspired owned brands” will launch in 2021.
In October, company officials announced plans to close 60 stores across all of its concepts. In January, officials said 20 of the 40 Bed Bath & Beyond stores scheduled to close would be delayed until the first half of 2020. (Here’s the list of 40 stores that closed earlier this year, which was released in January.)
Which car gets the most speeding tix? Not Ferrari, not Mustang
The number increased to 200 closing locations, making up approximately 21% of the company’s namesake stores, in July. Bed Bath CEO Mark Tritton said closing 200 locations would save the company between $250 and $350 million annually after one-time costs.
Tritton said the COVID-19 pandemic was “felt across our business during our fiscal first quarter, including loss of sales due to temporary store closures.”
As of May 30, the company had 1,478 stores, including 955 Bed Bath & Beyond stores nationwide and in Canada, 262 stores under the names of World Market, Cost Plus World Market or Cost Plus, 127 buybuy Baby stores, 81 stores under the names Christmas Tree Shops, Christmas Tree Shops andThat! or andThat!, and 53 stores under the names Harmon, Harmon Face Values or Face Values.
While many of the stores were temporarily closed during the pandemic, the company accelerated the launch of buy-online-pickup-in-store and curbside pickup at many stores.
By the end of the May, the new services were available at nearly 60% of locations, John Hartmann, the company’s chief operating officer and executive vice president, said in July during the quarterly earnings call.
Net sales from digital channels grew 82% with sales growth of more than 100% during April and May, the company said in July when reporting quarterly earnings.
“In this COVID moment, we believe we can take this opportunity to not just simply close stores, but to pivot and reshape and truly optimize our store footprint,” Hartmann said. “We continue to believe that our physical store channel is an asset for us, as we transform into a digital-first company.”
Bed Bath & Beyond isn’t the only retailer closing stores amid the coronavirus. As many as 25,000 stores could shutter this year as retailers continue to feel the impacts of the pandemic, according to a report from Coresight Research.
Bed Bath & Beyond stores closing list
The following 63 stores are slated to close by the end of 2020. Approximately 200 stores will close over the next two years.
Alabama Bed Bath & Beyond closures
- Birmingham: 1640 Gadsden Highway
- Alabaster: 300 Colonial Promenade Parkway
Arizona Bed Bath & Beyond closing
- Phoenix: 10845 North Tatum Blvd.
California Bed Bath & Beyond closing stores
- City of Industry: 21640 Valley Blvd.
- Fremont: 39125 Fremont Hub
- Mira Loma: 6365 Pats Ranch Road
- Paso Robles: 2449 Golden Hill Road
- Stockton: 10822 Trinity Parkway
- Victorville: 12410 Amargosa Road
Colorado closing Bed Bath stores
- Aurora: 23901 E. Orchard Road
- Greeley: 4735 29th St.
Connecticut Bed Bath & Beyond closures
- Danbury: 13 Sugar Hollow Road
- Farmington: 1603 Southeast Road
- Milford: 1212 Boston Post Road
- Torrington: 1914 East Main St.
Florida Bed Bath & Beyond closings
- Casselberry: 5803 S US Highway 17/92
- Pembroke Pines: 11470 Pines Blvd.
- Port St. Lucie: 10856 SW Village Parkway
Georgia Bed Bath & Beyond closure
- Douglasville: 6680 Douglas Blvd.
Illinois Bed Bath closing stores
- Bolingbrook: 734 East Boughton Road
- Chicago: 2838 North Broadway
- DeKalb: 2530 Sycamore Road
- Orland Park: 203 Orland Park Place
Indiana Bed Bath store closures
- Bloomington: 280 N. Gates Drive
- Indianapolis: 6010 West 86th St.
- Indianapolis: 8655 N. River Crossing Blvd.
- Merrillville: 2520 East 79th Ave.
Kentucky closing Bed Bath & Beyond store
- Lexington: 3220 Nicholasville Road
Louisiana Bed Bath store closure
- Harvey: 901 Manhattan Blvd.
Maine Bed Bath & Beyond closing store
Maryland Bed Bath & Beyond store closings
- Gaithersburg: 558 N. Frederick Ave.
- Hanover: 7000 Arundel Mills Circle
- Salisbury: 2653 N. Salisbury Blvd.
Michigan Bed Bath & Beyond closing
- Allen Park: 3180 Fairlane Drive
Missouri Bed Bath & Beyond closure
- Kansas City: 8520 North Evanston Ave.
Nebraska Bed Bath & Beyond store closure
- Lincoln: 5040 N. 27th Street
New Jersey Bed Bath closing stores
- Howell: 4075 Route 9
- Rockaway: 202 Enterprise Drive
New York Bed Bath & Beyond store closings
- Flushing: 40-24 College Point Blvd.
- New York: 410 E. 61st St.
- Rochester: 3349 Monroe Ave.
- Staten Island: 2700 Veterans Road West
- Syracuse: 3597 W Genesee St.
- Watertown: 21855 Towne Center Drive
North Carolina Bed Bath closing locations
- Concord: 8241 Concord Mills Blvd.
- Raleigh: 6270 Glenwood Ave.
Ohio Bed Bath & Beyond closing stores
- Beavercreek: 2720 Towne Drive
- Columbus: 1170 Polaris Parkway
- Holland: 1230 S. Holland Sylvania Road
- Pickerington: 1750 Hill Road North
Oregon Bed Bath & Beyond closure
Pennsylvania closing Bed Bath store
- Plymouth Meeting: 2410 Chemical Road
Tennessee Bed Bath store closure
- Nashville: 211 Opry Mills Drive
Texas Bed Bath & Beyond store closings
- Austin: 9333 Research Blvd.
- Hurst: 853 Northeast Mall Drive
- Missouri City: 5752 Highway 6
- Watauga: 7616 Denton Highway
Utah Bed Bath & Beyond closures
- Layton: 2159 Harris Blvd.
- West Jordan: 7142 South Plaza Center Drive
Virginia Bed Bath & Beyond closing
- Arlington: 900 Army Navy Drive
Washington Bed Bath closure
- Everett: 1130 SE Everett Mall Way
West Virginia Bed Bath store closure
- Martinsburg: 172 Retail Commons Parkway
Wisconsin Bed Bath store closings
Sur La Table store closings 2020: The kitchen goods retailer is liquidating more stores by the end of September
Macy’s permanent store closures: Macy’s says timeline of closings could be adjusted as competitors struggle amid COVID-19
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/09/18/bed-bath-beyond-store-closures-2020-list-coronavirus/3478536001/