Consumers are scared to go out and retailers are floundering. Is there a future for the traditional indoor shopping mall?
UPDATED: The retailer updated the list of stores closing Aug. 20 to add five additional closures. Liquidation sales have started at 24 stores. The list below has been updated.
Lord & Taylor, of one of the nation’s oldest department store chains, has started liquidating 19 of its 38 stores.
But department stores and apparel retailers with a heavy commitment to shopping malls were grappling with declining foot traffic long before the pandemic.
Since May, Ascena Retail Group, parent company of Justice, Ann Taylor and Lane Bryant, New York & Company‘s parent company RTW Retailwinds, Lucky Brand, J.C. Penney, Brooks Brothers, Sur La Table, Neiman Marcus, Tuesday Morning, Tailored Brands, GNC and J. Crew have all filed for Chapter 11.
Save better, spend better: Money tips and advice delivered right to your inbox. Sign up here
Lord & Taylor, which was sold to the French rental clothing company Le Tote Inc. last year, said it was looking for a new owner.
Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers are managing the store closing sales, which have begun at 19 locations (see list below.). According to a news release, the “closing stores feature an abundant assortment of merchandise at significant price reductions” including brands DKNY, Nike, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Bahama.
Possible J.C. Penney sale?: J.C. Penney looks to sell company in bankruptcy to avoid liquidation
Tailored Brands bankruptcy: Men’s Wearhouse, Jos. A. Bank owner Tailored Brands files Chapter 11 amid store closings: See the list
As many as 25,000 stores could shutter this year as businesses continue to feel the impacts of the pandemic, according to a recent report from Coresight Research.
Because of the pandemic, most retailers are handling liquidation or going-out-of-business sales differently.
The following stores have begun liquidation sales.
Connecticut Lord + Taylor closings
- Farmington: West Farms Mall, 400 West Farms Mall
- Danbury: Danbury Fair Mall, 7 Backus Ave.
- Trumbull: Trumbull Store, 5065 Main St.
Florida Lord + Taylor store closing
- Boca Raton: Mizner Park, 200 Plaza Real
Illinois Lord + Taylor store closure
- Northbrook: Northbrook Store, 1455 Lake Cook Road
- Schaumburg: Woodfield Mall, 4 Woodfield Mall (announced Aug. 20)
Maryland Lord + Taylor closing stores
- Kensington: White Flint Store, 11311 Rockville Pike
- Columbia: Columbia Mall, 10300 Little Patuxent Parkway
Massachusetts Lord + Taylor closures
- Boston: Prudential Center, 800 Boylston St.
- Natick: Natick Store, 1245 Worcester Road
Michigan closing Lord + Taylor store
- Novi: Twelve Oaks Store, 27650 Novi Road
New Hampshire Lord + Taylor closure
- Salem: Rockingham Park Mall, 99 Rockingham Park Blvd. (announced Aug. 20)
New Jersey closing Lord + Taylor store
- Livingston: Livingston Store, 111 Eisenhower Parkway (announced Aug. 20)
- Rockaway: Rockaway Store, 317 Mt Hope Ave. (announced Aug. 20)
- Wayne: Willowbrook Mall, 4 Willowbrook Blvd.
New York Lord + Taylor store closings
- Albany: Crossgates, 1 Crossgates Mall Road
- Bay Shore: Bay Shore Mall, 1701 Sunrise Highway
- Buffalo: Walden Galleria Store, 8 Walden Galleria
- Huntington Station: Walt Whitman Store, 158 Walt Whitman Road (announced Aug. 20)
- Rochester (Victor): Eastview Mall, 7979 Victor-Pittsford Road
- Syracuse: Destiny USA, 9629 Destiny USA Drive
- Yonkers: Ridge Hill Village, 157 Market St.
Pennsylvania Lord + Taylor store closure
- Bala Cynwyd: Bala-Cynwyd Store, 121 E City Ave.
Virginia Lord + Taylor store closure
- Fairfax: Fair Oaks Mall, 117778 Fair Oaks Mall
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/08/03/lord-taylor-store-closures-list-chapter-11-bankruptcy/5572005002/