J.C. Penney has filed for bankruptcy and is closing their doors after being around for almost 120 years. So why does it hurt to see them go?
J.C. Penney is cutting 1,000 jobs as it attempts to identify a business plan enabling it to avoid a sale that could lead to its liquidation.
The department store chain said Wednesday that “corporate, field management and international positions” would be affected by the latest round of cuts.
Those reductions come in addition to plans to permanently close 242 stores, including 152 that have already been identified. (See the updated list below.)
The company also said in a court filing that it has received an extension from certain lenders on Tuesday’s deadline to secure their approval for a business plan to restructure its operations in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Save better, spend better: Money tips and advice delivered right to your inbox. Sign up here
Malls’ future in question amid COVID-19: Can shopping malls survive the coronavirus pandemic and a new slate of permanent store closings?
The deadline was extended until July 31, giving the retailer more time to negotiate a potential escape route that is likely to involve significant debt cuts.
Absent such a plan, J.C. Penney will be forced to consider a sale of the company, which its attorneys have acknowledged could lead to the liquidation of the entire chain.
The bankruptcy judge on the case, David Jones, has said he wants to avoid that outcome but cannot rule it out.
With 846 stores and 85,000 employees at the time of its bankruptcy filing in May, J.C. Penney hopes to emerge from bankruptcy with about 600 stores.
Regarding the fresh round of layoffs, CEO Jill Soltau said in a statement: “Each of these associates has made valuable contributions to the legacy of JCPenney, and we are truly grateful for their service. These decisions are always extremely difficult, and I would like to thank these associates for their hard work and dedication. We are committed to supporting them during this period of transition.”
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, J.C. Penney was already dealing with declining sales amid digital competition, sizable debt and falling foot traffic to shopping malls. The pandemic forced the retailer to temporarily close all of its locations, cratering sales and triggering the bankruptcy filing in May.
J.C. Penney store closures 2020
Here are the first J.C. Penney stores that are scheduled to permanently close as of Wednesday, July 15 with one location in New York already closed. The company says a handful of previously announced “store closing locations may remain on hold pending further review.”
Alabama J.C. Penney closing stores
- Andalusia: Covington Mall, 922 River Falls St.
- Florence: Regency Square, 301 Cox Creek Parkway
- Scottsboro: Jackson Square, 1601 S Broad
- Spanish Fort: Spanish Fort Town Center, 22500 Town Center Ave.
Arizona J.C. Penney store closings
- Cottonwood: Little Creek Center, 1100-B Highway 260
- Tucson: El Con Shopping Center, 3501 E Broadway
- Phoenix: Christown Spectrum, 1727 W Bethany Home Road
Arkansas closing J.C. Penney stores
- Batesville: Independence Center, 475 S St. Louis St.
- El Dorado: Mellor Park Mall, 1845 N West Ave.
- Harrison: The Fashion Center, 814 U.S. Highway 62-65 N
California J.C. Penney store closings
- Chino: Rancho Del Chino Shopping Center, 14659 Ramona Ave.
- Delano: 1228 Main St.
- Los Banos: San Luis Plaza, 951 W Pacheco Blvd.
- Paso Robles: Woodland Plaza, 120 Niblick Road
- San Bernardino: Inland Center, 300 Inland Center
- Tracy: West Valley Mall, 3100 Naglee Road
- Turlock: Countryside Plaza, 1840 Countryside Drive
- Yreka: Yreka Junction Mall, 1810 Fort Jones Road
Colorado J.C. Penney closing stores
- Durango: Durango Mall, 800 S Camino Del Rio
- Fort Collins: 135 Bockman Drive
- Greeley: Greeley Mall, 2080 Greeley Mall
- Montrose: River Landing Shopping Center, 3400 Rio Grande Ave.
Connecticut J.C. Penney store closure
- Torrington: Torrington Commons, 251 High St.
Florida J.C. Penney closing stores
- Bradenton: Desoto Square Mall, 303 301 Blvd. W
- Cape Coral: Coralwood Shopping Center, 2301 Del Prado Blvd.
- Fort Myers: Gulf Coast Town Center, 10083 Gulf Center Drive
- Jacksonville: Regency Square Mall, 9501 Arlington Expressway
- Lake Wales: Eagle Ridge Mall, 501 Eagle Ridge Drive
- Mary Esther: Santa Rosa Shopping Center, 300 Mary Esther Blvd.
- Orlando: Orlando Fashion Square, 3115 E Colonial Drive
- Sebring: Lakeshore Mall, 901 U.S. 27 N
Georgia J.C. Penney closing stores
- Athens: Georgia Square, 3700 Atlanta Highway
- Atlanta: Northlake Mall, 4840 Briarcliff Road NE
- Gainesville: Lakeshore Mall, 150 Pearl Nix Parkway
- Rome: Mount Berry Mall 300 Mount Berry Square NE
- Statesboro: Statesboro Mall, 325 Northside Drive E
- Waycross: Hatcher Point Mall, 2215 Memorial Drive
Idaho closing J.C. Penney stores
- Lewiston: Lewiston Shopping Center, 1826 19th Ave.
- Ponderay: Bonner Mall, 300 Bonner Mall Way
Illinois J.C. Penney closing stores
- Bourbonnais: Northfield Square, 1600 N State Route 50
- Carbondale: University Mall, 1201 E Main
- Freeport: Freeport Mall, 1810 S West Ave.
- Mount Vernon: Times Square Mall, 115 Times Square Mall
Indiana J.C. Penney closing stores
- Bedford: Bedford Town Fair, 1118 James Ave.
- Indianapolis: NW Pavilion at Michigan Road, 8752 Michigan Road
- Kokomo: Kokomo Mall, 1718 E Blvd.
- Madison: River Point Mall, 435 E Clifty Drive
- Muncie: Muncie Mall, 3501 Granville Ave.
- Plymouth: Pilgrim Place Mall, 1350 Pilgrim Lane
- Richmond: Richmond Square, 4199 National Road E
- Vincennes: Vincennes Plaza, 640 Niblack Blvd.
Iowa J.C. Penney store closings
- Carroll: 504 N Adams St.
- Marshalltown: Marshalltown Mall, 2500 Shopping Center St.
Kansas J.C. Penney store closures
- Emporia: Flint Hills Village, 1678 Industrial Road
- Liberal: Liberal Plaza, 1513 N Kansas Ave.
- Salina: Central Mall, 2259 S 9th St.
Kentucky J.C. Penney closing stores
- Campbellsville: Green River Plaza, 399 Campbellsville Bypass
- Danville: Danville Manor Shopping Center, 1560 Houstonville Road
- Hopkinsville: Bradford Square, 4000 Fort Campbell Blvd.
- Maysville: Market Square, U.S. 68 S and AA Highway
- Middlesboro: Middlesboro Mall, 905 N 12th St.
- Owensboro: Town Square Mall, 5000 Frederica St.
Maryland closing J.C. Penney stores
- Abingdon: Boulevard at Box Hill, 3411 Merchant Blvd.
- Hyattsville: Mall at Prince Georges, 3500 East West Highway
- Lanham: Woodmore Towne Center at Glen, 9100 McHugh Drive
- La Vale: Country Club Mall, 1262 Vocke Road
Michigan J.C. Penney closures
- Alma: Northtown Village, 1680 Wright Ave.
- Alpena: Alpena Mall, 2338 U.S. 23 S
- Bay City: Bay City Town Center, 4129 E Wilder Road
- Big Rapids: 125 S Michigan Ave.
- Cadillac: Cadillac Shopping Center, 1550 N Mitchell St.
- Greenville: Greenville West Mall, 300 Greenville West Drive
- Mount Pleasant: Mount Pleasant Shopping Center, 2231 S Mission Road
- Owosso: 201 S Washington St.
- Petoskey: 408 E Mitchell St.
Minnesota closing J.C. Penney stores
- Coon Rapids: Riverdale Village, 12550 Riverdale Blvd.
- Maple Grove: Grove Square Shopping Center, 13701 Grove Drive
- Willmar: Kandi Mall, 1605 South First St.
Mississippi J.C. Penney store closings
- Laurel: Sawmill Square Mall, 910 Sawmill Road
- Starkville: Starkville Crossing, 864 Highway 12 W
Missouri closing J.C. Penney stores
- Independence: Bolger Square, 17610 E 39th St. S
- Kirksville: Kirksville Shopping Center, 2206 S Baltimore St.
Montana J.C. Penney store closure
- Bozeman: Gallatin Valley Mall, 2825 W Main St.
Nebraska closing J.C. Penney store
- Grand Island: Conestoga Mall, 3404 W 13th St.
New Hampshire J.C. Penney closings
- Keene: West Street Shopping Center, 381 West St.
- North Conway: Mountain Valley Mall, State Highway 16 and Route 302
- Rochester: Lilac Mall, 25 Lilac Mall (Route 125)
- West Lebanon: Upper Valley Plaza, 250 Plainfield Road
New Mexico J.C. Penney store closure
- Alamogordo: White Sands Mall, 3199 N White Sands Blvd.
New York J.C. Penney closing stores
- Auburn: Finger Lakes Mall, 1579 Clark Street Road
- Batavia: Batavia City Centre, 40 Batavia City Center
- Bay Shore: South Shore Mall, 1701 Sunrise Highway
- Brooklyn: Kings Plaza, 5100 Kings Plaza. Liquidation date to be determined.
- Canandaigua: Roseland Shopping Center, 3225 State Route 364
- New York: Manhattan Mall, 100 W 32nd St. Location listed as “permanently closed.”
- New Hartford: Sangertown Square Mall, 1 Sangertown Square
- Poughkeepsie: Poughkeepsie Galleria, 2001 South Road
- Rome: Freedom Mall, 205 Erie Blvd. W
- Syracuse: Destiny USA, 9559 Destiny USA Drive
- Valley Stream: Green Acres Mall, 1051 Green Acres Mall
North Carolina J.C. Penney closures
- Henderson: Henderson Square, 380 N Cooper Drive
- Lumberton: Biggs Park Shopping Center, 2910 N Elm St.
- New Bern: Twin Rivers Mall, 3100 M L King Jr Blvd.
- Raleigh: North Hills Shopping Center, 4217 Six Forks Road
- Rockingham: Richmond Plaza, 1305 E Broad Ave.
Ohio closing J.C. Penney store closings
- Akron: Chapel Hill Mall, 2000 Brittain Road
- Akron: Tri County Plaza, 1500 Canton Road
- Alliance: Carnation Mall, 2500 W State St.
- Ashtabula: Ashtabula Mall, 3315 N Ridge Road E
- Cincinnati: Governors Plaza, 9365 Fields Ertel Road
- Defiance: Northtowne Mall, 1500 N Clinton St.
- East Liverpool: Summit Square Shopping Center, 16280 Dresden Ave.
- Parma: The Shoppes At Parma, 7900 Day Drive
- Piqua: Miami Valley Mall, 987 E Ash St.
Oklahoma J.C. Penney store closings
- Enid: Oakwood Mall, 4125 W Owen K Garriott Road
- McAlester: Tandy Town Shopping Center, 1744 E Carl Albert Parkway
- Midwest City: Town Center Plaza, 7271 SE 29th St.
- Muskogee: Arrowhead Mall, 501 N Main St.
- Shawnee: Shawnee Mall, 4901 N Kickapoo Ave.
- Tulsa: Tulsa Promenade, 4101 S Yale Ave.
Oregon J.C. Penney store closings
- Bend: Cascade Village, 63455 N Highway 97
- McMinnville: McMinnville Plaza, 2180 NE Highway 99 W
- Roseburg: Garden Valley Mall, 780 NW Garden Valley Blvd.
- Salem: Salem Center, 305 Liberty St. NE
Pennsylvania J.C. Penney store closings
- Butler: Clearview Mall, 101 Clearview Circle
- Hanover: North Hanover Mall, 1155 Carlisle St.
- Tarentum: Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 167 Pittsburgh Mill Circle
South Carolina J.C. Penney store closings
- Beaufort: Cross Creek Mall, 328 Robert Smalls Parkway
- Florence: Magnolia Mall, 2701 David H McLeod Blvd.
- Myrtle Beach: Myrtle Beach Mall, 10177 N Kings Highway
- Orangeburg: Prince of Orange Mall, 2390 Chestnut St.
- Rock Hill: Rock Hill Galleria, 2321 Dave Lyle Blvd.
South Dakota J.C. Penney store closure
- Brookings: University Mall, 990 22nd Ave. S
Tennessee J.C. Penney store closings
- Cleveland: Bradley Square, 200 Paul Huff Parkway NW
- Columbia: Columbia Mall, 800 S James Campbell Blvd.
- Dyersburg: Dyersburg Mall, 2700 Lake Road
- Kingsport: Kingsport Town Center, 2101 Fort Henry Drive
- Maryville: Foothills Mall, 101 Foothills Mall
- McMinnville: Three Star Mall, 1410 Sparta St.
Texas J.C. Penney store closings
- Dallas: Timber Creek Crossing, 6051 Skillman St.
- Greenville: Crossroads Mall, 6834 Wesley St.
- Huntsville: West Hills Mall, 2 Financial Plaza
- Lewisville: Music City Mall, 2401 S Stemmons Fairway
- Lufkin: Lufkin Shopping Center, 4600 S Medford Drive
- Palestine: Palestine Mall, 1930 S Loop 256
- Paris: Mirabeau Square, 3560 Lamar Ave. Highway 82
Utah J.C. Penney store closings
- Logan: Cache Valley Mall, 1350 N Main St.
Vermont J.C. Penney store closings
- Bennington: Bennington Square, 99 Bennington Square
- Berlin: Berlin Mall, 282 Berlin Mall Road
Virginia J.C. Penney store closings
- Danville: Danville Mall, 325 Piedmont Drive
- Staunton: Colonial Mall, 90 Lee Jackson Highway
Washington J.C. Penney store closings
- Omak: Omache Shopping Center, 715 Omache Drive
- Sunnyside: Mid-Valley Mall, 2010 Yakima Valley Highway
Follow USA TODAY reporter Nathan Bomey on Twitter @NathanBomey.
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/07/15/jcpenney-store-closings-job-cuts-chapter-11-bankruptcy/5443549002/